Thursday, December 03, 2009

Sunday shouldn't be like every day

Oh yes, I remember the days when I too wandered about town in an oversized coat and a scowl:



But today - aged beyond recognition and living a life when every day (including Sunday) is decidedly unlike Sunday - I have begun to appreciate the quiet days when towns are sleepy and shops are shut.

As they are still, mostly, on a Sunday in Germany (which Anglo-American friends and family have tended to find puzzling, if not a violation of one of their inalienable rights).

And so I was immensely pleased by the recent ruling by the German Federal Constitutional Court that the liberal pre-Christmas Sunday opening hours in Berlin are unconstitutional. Atheist or not, I think people deserve a rest from getting or spending, to be free to do ... nothing in particular. That is a pastime we should earnestly cultivate.

And on that note I'm off to ... do nothing in particular. Toodlepip.

2 comments:

Mr. Joyboy said...

Holy hand grenades -- that's the first Morrissey song I've heard that could hold its own with the Smiths. Delightful wall-of-soundiness, and the androgynous pixie got up in Dexy's Midnight Runners garb is something else.

https://obscenedesserts.blogspot.com/ said...

What d'ya mean you didn't know that song???

Where have you been spending your teens? Texas?