Tuesday, July 28, 2009

With fireweed blooming along the frost heaves and merciless rivers that are rushing and carving and reminding us that here, Mother Nature wins.

Thanks to Dale, I've had the joy of experiencing William Shatner reciting a portion of Sarah Palin's resignation speech.

NBC appears to have not wasted any time in sending out the flying monkey copyright protection legion from the Emerald City to cleanse the Internets of any non-official versions.

But it's still visible at NBC itself.

It strikes me that our Sarah might be a secret Mountain Goats fan.

The similarities are uncanny:



The jacaranda are wet with color,
and the heat is a great paint brush, lending color to our lives,
and to the air, and to our faces; but I'm going to Alaska
where there's snow to suck the sound out from the air.

Up, yes, in the branches,
the purple blossoms, go pale at the edges;
there is meaning in the shifting of the sap, and I see in them traces
of last year, but then they hadn't grown so strong,
and their limbs were more like wires. Now they are cables.
thick and alive with alien electricity, and I am going to Alaska,
where you can go blind just by looking at the ground,
where fat is eaten by itself
just to keep the body warm.

Because from where we are now, it seems, really,
that everything is growing in a thousand different ways;
that the soil is soaked through with old blood and with relatives
who were buried here, or close to here, and they are giving rise
to what is happening. Or can you tell me otherwise?
I am going to Alaska, where the animals can kill you,
but they do so in silence, as though if no-one hears them,
then it really won't matter. I am going to Alaska.
They tell me that it's perfect for my purposes.

(The Mountain Goats, "Going to Alaska")


Also relevant:



(William Shatner sings Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.)

No comments: