Friday, October 10, 2008

Into the blue again, after the money's gone

Our story so far:

Because American financial institutions sold a bunch of dodgy mortgages to Americans, several British local councils now have to fear losing the money they'd deposited in Icelandic banks.

Hmm. It's a funny old world, ain't it?

Along with the primer that I recommended on the background to how several hundred billion dollars (euros, pounds, yen, whatever...) have rapidly evaporated, I suggest you peruse posts by Andrew, Francis and Shuggy.

If you want to escape thinking about it, I recommend listening to Juana Molina over and over again, until the fear subsides.

I received, coincidentally, an e-mail yesterday from the institution I work for that sought to reassure me about its financial situation and to emphasise that I will continue to be paid as normal.

Which is reassuring.

Except for the fact that they felt they needed to reassure me.

Which is not very reassuring.

Looking forward to that shotgun shack...

[UPDATE] Dale points us to a sequel, of sorts, of the 'This American Life' radio report that I recommended previously. I haven't listened to it yet, but the title, 'Another Frightening Show About the Economy', is certainly encouraging.

It is currently available FREE for download.

And 'free' is sounding increasingly good.

[UPDATED UPDATE] Oh my...now even the cats are suffering! (At least, as previously mentioned here, they might make a possible -- if substandard -- food source. If it's good enough for Peru....)

(Thanks to The Wife for the reference)

No comments: