Monday, March 03, 2008

Conspiracy update

Sorry I have to bother you all again with the old Marion Cotillard yarn, which is already getting a bit stale, only the following snippet in the Times made me right furious:

Mr Duval [Cotillard's agent] said that the interview [in which she made the famous daft statement about the World Trade Centre wiring] was filmed after a broadcast on Coluche, a French comedian killed in a motorcycle accident in 1986, and she [Cotillard] had simply made clear that she intended to form her own opinion about the events of September 11 rather than follow the official version, that it was a terrorist attack led by al-Qaeda.

Aargghhh! What kind of explanation is that?

If there's one thing in the world that I hate, it's people who "want to form their own opinion." Because usually when they make that kind of argumentative gambit, it's never just about matters of "opinion" -- like the taste of a wine, the cut of a skirt, or the sound of a piece of music. No, this kind of statement usually refers to facts of life ... like, gravity, Evolution and the Holocaust.

In fact, somebody who I was quite friendly with at the time made the same kind of statement in exactly the same context (i.e. 9/11) in a conversation with me about six years ago and ... I hate to say it, but I haven't really spoken to her since.

No comments: