Thursday, October 04, 2007

Tales from the inner geek

I love coincidence.

In between writing a conference abstract and revising a letter that I hope will convince someone to publish my next book, some random link-clicking led me to two references to H. P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos, which was one of the main foundations of my teenage geek enthusiasms.

(Not all that long ago, I re-read several of Lovecraft's stories: they still scare me...)

The first is Toren Atkinson's excellent revision of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are entitled 'Where the Great Old Ones Are' (via Boing Boing):
(He says at his site that he can make a t-shirt out of it. Very tempting...)


And then there's this cartoon from the consistently hilarious Monkey Fluids:


And, as an extra geek-bonus, the following cartoon was also at MF.

It's not about Cthulhu, but close enough: if you don't recognise the term 'polyhedral dice' and have never owned a bag of holding, you may not understand the joke.

2 comments:

Grim Blogger said...

Both brilliant! I'm a major Lovecraft admirer myself. Thanks for noting these.

JCWood said...

You're welcome, GB. Thanks for stopping by and for writing.

Nice blog by the way.

Best,
JCW