Monday, January 08, 2007

Unsore loser

Congratulations to the winners of the 2006 Cliopatria awards.

Reader, I was not among them.

But, as they say at the Oscars, it was an honour to be nominated. As I was, for 'Best New Blog', by Sharon Howard at Early Modern Notes. (Thanks, Sharon!)

The winner in my category was Digital History Hacks, which appears to be a very heavy-duty history blog indeed, even mentioning things like 'diegetic machine acts', autonomous learning and 'histories of the future'. I don't understand these concepts, really, but I offer my hearty congratulations to William J. Turkel, who, it seems, does.

To be honest, I haven't thus far devoted all that much time here to commenting directly on history (though a click on the 'history' tag below should bring up a few things); thus, winning an award as a 'history blog' would have been something like...well,...like awarding Jethro Tull a Grammy for best 'heavy metal band'. And that would be silly, wouldn't it?

Nevertheless, I like to think that a deep historical sensibility veritably oozes from the pores of all my writing, even when I'm writing about other things.

Don't worry, though, as it's the kind of digital ooze which wipes off easily.

No comments: