Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Another man's done gone

It seems that Michael Bérubé has decided to quit blogging.

Which is sad, in some way, since it was high-quality blogs such as his (and a few of the others you'll find on the 'blogs I read' list) which made me think that it might just be a worthwhile endeavour.

His departing message displays some of the characteristics that his readers have come to know so well (mainly, um, verbosity and wit) and manages, very nicely, to include references to both Spinal Tap and Monty Python.

It also serves as a nice reminder of how fast things have been changing...

But I didn’t really know what I was doing; I continued working on a 56k modem until March 30, 2004, and I didn’t have the sense to turn on the comments until May 10 (that post also works as a kind of Guide to the Early Blog in itself).

Ah, 56k...those were the days.

It's strange to think about a blog ending. I don't mean the probably 20 million or so dormant blogs out there with about 3 posts each on them but rather the sort in which someone has invested time, effort and tens of thousands of words (in Bérubé's case, hundreds of thousands).

Obviously, all things come to an end.

But as the man said:

I don´t know, I may go down or up or anywhere
But I feel like this scribbling might stay

No comments: