Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Ready and willing?

It seems that, according to a recent Gallup poll (provided here at the National Review Online, via Lawyers, Guns and Money and Ezra Klein), 84 percent of Americans think that their country is not 'ready' to elect an atheist as president.

(Whatever 'ready' means in this context. Do people actually think: 'I wouldn't vote for an atheist candidate next time. I need time to get used to the idea: ask me again in 10 years and maybe I'll be ready'?)

Anyway, it does seem that my career opportunities are even more limited than I'd thought.

I suppose one should greet the majority 'readiness' to elect a female, black or Jewish president (wondering, though, how a candidate who reflects combinations of these categories would fare...is electoral readiness additive or subtractive?).

No comments: